Expect large yields with this variety of deep green, richly flavored tomatillo fruit. This is the fruit that is considered the source of the flavor of authentic Mexican cuisine like salsa verde. Experience the tangy, zesty flavor of these 2-4 oz fruits!
1. Add tomatillos to soups, sauces, jams, desserts, appetizers, and Mexican dishes
2. Green salsas are different than red salsas because tomatillos are used instead of tomatoes
3. Harvest when the papery shell is dry and begins to crack – this is when the fruit is ready for salsa
4. Tomatillos can produce up to 1 pound of fruit per plant
5. Like their close relatives cape gooseberries, tomatillos have a high pectin content
6. Ripe tomatillos will keep in the refrigerator for about two weeks
7. The tomatillo is also known as the husk tomato, jamberry, husk cherry, Mexican tomato,
8. Tomatillo means "Little Tomato"
Fresh in salads, Pickled, canned
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
1 lb tomatillos - remove the husks and rinse
1 medium onion
1/2 lb of mixed peppers/chilies of your choice
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of cumin (optional)
Juice and zest of one large lime
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon of fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Roast the tomatillos and onion on medium heat until mildly blackened.
2. Let cool.
2. Roast the peppers or chilies on a high heat until they are blackened.
3. Place them in a covered bowl for about 10 minutes
4. Peel the peppers or chilies when cool and remove seeds (be careful of hot peppers when handling) See Hot Pepper Information
5. Dice or using a food chopper mix all of the ingredients until finely chopped.
6. Then pour into a large bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed.
Some seeds require some experience in growing. We provide germination guidance and recommend that you do some research before ordering if you feel unsure. Growing plants from seed is supposed to be fun. Sometimes it is successful and sometimes not- this is the way it is with gardening. Because we are not there to plant them, we cannot be responsible for germination failure due to improper planting or climate conditions. We will always send you viable seeds
We thank you for your support of rare and naturally grown seeds!
This widely adaptable plant can be used for a wide range of uses including, standard growing as well as the greenhouse or houseplant. It makes the perfect patio plant but, will need protection from frost. Keep well watered until established.
Each seed pack you buy from us is:
Properly labeled and packaged in individual packs.
Each label has information specific to the seed you are buying!
We have been in the garden - seed business for over 40 years and were one of the first to sell seeds on the internet many years ago. We will give you quality seed and service. We will be there for you not only today but down the road from now should you need growing help or more seeds. We thank you in advance for your business.
Note: all seeds are fresh and viable. We will not and can not be responsible for the germination of any seed since everyone has their own methods of starting, growing and planting them. We will only advise you of what we think works best. See below for more information.
It is the buyer’s responsibility to know whether any plant or seed is acceptable or allowable for the area being shipped to. Seller is not responsible for buyer’s use of plant or seeds and any dangers thereof. By purchasing this item buyer accepts this understanding.
Seed is a live product which depends on many important grower skills such as proper planting time, seed depth, type of soil, watering, light intensity, proper use of fertilizers, weed controls, fungicides, insecticides, soil conditions, and reasonable weather during the growing period. These factors are totally out of the sellers control, and germination and growing results are the buyer's responsibility and risk.